Instructions for Partner Universities
For Students Attending Universities With Which UF Have an Exchange Memorandum of Understanding
Fourth year students from international medical schools may participate in an elective or clerkship at the University of Florida subject to course availability and clerkship director approval. Please note, our current curriculum has changed and we are unable to accept visiting students for elective rotations during the months of December, February, April, May, June or July.
- The first step in the process is to review the website for the UF College of Medicine Course Catalog at UF College of Medicine 2017-2018 catalog
- Please identify the top 4 choices for courses and requested start date. List your top four choices in descending order.
- Submit these requests to the following contacts with your Non-degree Registration Application (see below):
Jacksonville Campus Contact: If you are applying for a rotation at the Jacksonville location, the following is contact information for the student coordinator: Name = Dani Brown;firstname.lastname@example.org ; phone (904)244-5128; fax (904)244-4771. The URL for the Jacksonville campus home page is: http://hscj.ufl.edu/ugme/.
Gainesville Campus Contact: If you are applying for a rotation at the Gainesville Campus, the following is contact information for the student coordinator: Name = Rita Singletary; email@example.com ; phone (352)273-7977; fax (352)273-7536. The URL for the 4th year catalog is: UF College of Medicine 2017-2018 catalog
∗Of note, the Departments of Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Nephrology, Psychiatry and Radiology do not accept students from non-LCME accredited medical schools.
Please submit the following documentation to Rita Singletary via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for review and approval by the Office of Global Health Education if you would like to attend the Gainesville, FL campus.
- Copy of your Passport
- A certified copy of your transcripts and records of courses taken.
- A letter from your Dean verifying:
- That you are student in good standing in the school
- That you have completed all the core third year clinical clerkships: Family Medicine, Medicine, Neurology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and Surgery.
- That you have adequate English language proficiency.
- That you have adequate resources to support yourself (travel, housing, food) for the duration of the elective(s) at UF
- To participate as a visiting student, you must have completed local/state, and national criminal background checks, and copies of these must be submitted with your paperwork.
- Proof that you have completed a random urine drug screen during the last year for the following drugs (if available in your home country): Amphetamine, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Cocaine, Methadone, Methaqualone, Opiates, Phencyclidine, Propoxyphene, Cannabinoid). Please complete the Affidavit and return to Rita Singletary at ritaford@UFL.EDU.
- You will also need to complete our HIPAA and training awareness. Once you have completed HIPAA and have printed your Confidentiality Statement, please make sure you bring your signed copy with you, not only for your file in Rita Singletary’s office, but for your rotations, should they ask for it.
- **Miscellaneous expenses include: Gator One photo ID is $17.00, there is a $40 (cash only) deposit for a key fob to enter South Tower of the hospital (if required on your service). Parking decals can be purchased for $35.00 per month.**
Once you have been notified and approved for the elective you will need to supply UFCOM the following documents
- A copy of your B-1 Visa approval documentation from the US Embassy
- Signed copy of the UF Confidentiality Statement http://privacy.health.ufl.edu/training/hipaaPrivacy/instructions.shtml
- Signed copy of the SHANDS CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT (pdf)
- Proof of personal health insurance and proof of malpractice insurance coverage. Malpractice insurance may be purchased here at the University of Florida at the time of your arrival, in the amount of $100, payable by check or money order only. Rita Singletary can take care of this paperwork when you arrive, if your school does not provide proof of malpractice insurance while away on rotation. See attached form for liability insurance Professional Liability Insurance Verification for Visiting Students
- Proof of personal health insurance. Again there are two options. The student can fill out the following form verifying that they have adequate personal health insurance or they can purchase coverage in the US for the time of their rotation. 7 Insurance Verification Form – Certificate Programs
- Proof of receipt of immunizations for measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B series and PPD and Chicken Pox (Varicella) titers. Please use the COM Immunization Form All lab work must be attached!
- Certificate of Completion for HIPAA Training gatorlink and HIIPAA instructions
Housing is arranged by you. The International Center has housing information for Gainesville at (http://housing.offcampus.ufl.edu/). Additional housing available in Gainesville, Housing-info 2017. At both Jacksonville and Gainesville there are extended stay hotels that rent units by the month. Please contact the offices at Gainesville or Jacksonville for more housing information. Additionally here are some helpful links:
Extended Stay America http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/fl/gainesville/i75
Value Place http://www.valueplace.com/extended-stay-hotels/locations/Florida/Gainesville-FL/?mktURL
Visit Gainesville http://www.visitgainesville.com/
Uloop sublets: http://ufl.uloop.com/housing/index.php/sublets
Rotating Room sublets:https://rotatingroom.com/
Students participating in clinical rotations must wear proper business attire, white laboratory coats, and their home school identification badge plus a Gator All-In-One ID badge.