Students Applying From Other International Institutions
For Students Applying From Other International Institutions (NO UF Memorandum of Understanding)
To apply for an elective at the University of Florida there is an application fee of $30 that must be paid to process the application and there is a tuition fee of $800 per week or $3200 per month for electives. This fee must be paid seven (7) days prior to the start of the rotation. In the event the tuition and/or application fees are not submitted to University of Florida seven (7) days prior to the start of the rotation, student will not be permitted to participate in the Program.
To apply for an elective at UF you must have the permission of your academic dean to take a course outside the institution in which you are enrolled. In addition, UF requires, as it does for any visiting student (US or foreign), that you must be covered by malpractice insurance, have personal health insurance that will cover you in Florida, be current with your required immunizations, have completed local/state and national criminal background checks (for foreign students the Visa application satisfies this requirement), and passed an official random urine drug test. See below for links to all the forms that need to be filled out and submitted to complete the application.
- The first step in the process is to review the website for the UF College of Medicine Course Catalog at UF College of Medicine 2017-2018 catalog Please identify the top 3 choices for courses. Submit these requests to the following contacts.
Jacksonville Campus Contact: If you are applying for a rotation at the Jacksonville location, the following is contact information for the student coordinator: Name = Dani Brown; firstname.lastname@example.org; phone (904)244-5128; fax (904)244-4771. The URL for the Jacksonville campus home page is: http://hscj.ufl.edu/ugme/.
Gainesville Campus Contact: If you are applying for a rotation at the Gainesville Campus, the following is contact information for the student coordinator: Name = Rita Singletary; email@example.com; phone (352)273-7977; fax (352)846-0622. The URL for the 4th year catalog is: UF College of Medicine 2017-2018 catalog
2. Please submit the following documentation to Rita Singletary via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for review and approval by the Office of Global Health Education.
- Copy of your Passport
- A certified copy of your transcripts and records of courses taken.
- A letter from your Dean verifying:
- That you are student in good standing in the school
- That you have completed all the basic clinical clerkships including Medicine, Pediatrics, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Psychiatry
- That you have adequate English language proficiency.
- That you have adequate resources to support yourself (travel, housing, food) for the duration of the elective(s) at UF
- Proof that you have completed a random urine drug screen during the last year for the following drugs (if available in your home country): Amphetamine, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Cocaine, Methadone, Methaqualone, Opiates, Phencyclidine, Propoxyphene, Cannabinoid). Drug Screening Requirements (pdf)
Once you have been notified and approved for the elective you will need to supply UFCOM the following documents
- A copy of your B-1 Visa approval documentation from the US Embassy
- Signed copy of the UF Confidentiality Statement http://privacy.health.ufl.edu/training/hipaaPrivacy/instructions.shtml
- Signed copy of the SHANDS CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT (pdf)
- Professional Liability Insurance Verification for Visiting Students All students must have malpractice insurance. There are two options: 1) the student’s school can sign verifying that the student has coverage through the school (see requirements on the form); or 2) the student or school can pay UF $100 per month (with a maximum of $200 for multiple months) for insurance coverage
- Proof of personal health insurance. Again there are two options. The student can fill out the following form verifying that they have adequate personal health insurance or they can purchase coverage in the US for the time of their rotation. Insurance Verification Form – Certificate Programs
- Proof of receipt of immunizations for measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B series and PPD and Chicken Pox (Varicella) titers. Please use the College of Medicine – Immunization Form.
- Certificate of Completion for HIPAA Training. HIPAA instructions (pdf)
- Registration acknowledgement. International students must complete UF’s registration acknowledgment prior to being registered. You cannot be registered until it is completed. REGISTRATION ACKNOWLEDGEMENT (pdf)
Housing is arranged by you. The International Center has housing for Gainesville at (http://housing.offcampus.ufl.edu/). For additional Gainesville housing,please click housing for Gainesville. At both Jacksonville and Gainesville there are extended stay hotels that rent units by the month. Please contact the offices at Gainesville or Jacksonville for more housing information.
Students participating in clinical rotations must wear proper business attire, white laboratory coats, and their home school identification badge plus a Gator All-In-One ID badge. On the first day of the rotation, the Senior Electives Coordinator will provide documentation that will enable visiting students to purchase the All-In-One ID badge ($17.00) and parking decal ($35.00 per month).