For Students Attending Universities With Which UF Have an Exchange Memorandum of Understanding
Fourth year students from international medical schools may participate in an elective or clerkship at the University of Florida subject to course availability and clerkship director approval. Please note, our current curriculum has changed and we are unable to accept visiting students for elective rotations during the months of December, February, April, May, June or July.
- The first step in the process is to review the website for the UF College of Medicine Course Catalog
- Please identify the top 4 choices for courses and requested start date. List your top four choices in descending order.
- Submit these requests to the following contacts with your Non-degree Registration Application (see below):
Jacksonville Campus Contact:
If you are applying for a rotation at the Jacksonville location, Dani Brown is the student coordinator. More information is available on the Jacksonville campus home page.
The Departments of Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Gastroenterology, Internal Medicine, Nephrology, Neurosurgery, Pathology, Pediatrics, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Psychiatry, Radiology and Surgery do not accept students from non-LCME accredited medical schools.
Please submit the following documentation to Jerell Blackburn for review by the Office of International Medical Education.
- Copy of your Passport.
- A certified copy of your transcripts and records of courses taken.
- A letter from your Dean verifying:
- That you are student in good standing in the school.
- That you have completed all the core third year clinical clerkships: Family Medicine, Medicine, Neurology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and Surgery.
- That you have adequate English language proficiency.
- That you have adequate resources to support yourself (travel, housing, food) for the duration of the elective(s) at UF.
- To participate as a visiting student, you must have completed local/state, and national criminal background checks, and copies of these must be submitted with your paperwork.
- Proof that you have completed a random urine drug screen during the last year for the following drugs (if available in your home country): Amphetamine, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Cocaine, Methadone, Methaqualone, Opiates, Phencyclidine, Propoxyphene, Cannabinoid). Please complete the Affidavit.
- You will also need to complete our HIPAA and training awareness. Once you have completed HIPAA and have printed your Confidentiality Statement, please make sure you bring your signed copy with you, not only for your file in Rita Singletary’s office, but for your rotations, should they ask for it.
- **Miscellaneous expenses include: Gator One photo ID is $17.00, there is a $40 (cash only) deposit for a key fob to enter South Tower of the hospital (if required on your service). Parking decals can be purchased for $35.00 per month.**
Once you have been approved and notified for the elective, please provide the following documents:
- A copy of your B-1 Visa approval documentation from the US Embassy
- Signed copy of the UF Confidentiality Statement
- Signed copy of the SHANDS CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT (pdf)
- All students must have malpractice insurance. There are two options: 1) the student’s school can sign verifying that the student has coverage through the school (see requirements on the form); or 2) the student or school can pay UF $100 per month (with a maximum of $200 for multiple months) for insurance coverage See attached form for liability insurance Professional Liability Insurance Verification for Visiting Students 8.30.18
- Proof of personal health insurance. Again there are two options. The student can fill out the following form verifying that they have adequate personal health insurance or they can purchase coverage in the US for the time of their rotation. (Form Coming Soon)
- Proof of receipt of immunizations for measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B series and PPD and Chicken Pox (Varicella) titers. Please use the COM Immunization Form 2018 All lab work must be attached to the Immunization Form!
- Certificate of Completion for HIPAA Training Gatorlink and HIIPAA instructions
Housing is arranged by you. The International Center has housing information for Gainesville at Off Campus Housing. Additional housing available in Gainesville, Housing-info 2018 Both Jacksonville and Gainesville have extended stay hotels that rent units by the month. Please contact the offices at Gainesville or Jacksonville for more housing information. Additionally here are some helpful links: